Summer Accelerator 2020 Application
- Deadline: 11:59pm PT, April 5, 2020
- Pitch/Interview Round: April 20-23, 2020 (pitch invites will be sent out week of April 13)
- Notification of Acceptance: Mid-May 2020
- The 2020 Summer Accelerator begins Monday, July 6 and ends Thursday, September 10.
Core Team Responsibilities & Requirements
1. Attend Summer Accelerator Orientation to learn more about what to expect during program (date TBD; in June)
2. Attend first day of Summer Accelerator for group team building activity (July 6)
3. Work on your startup full-time (40 hrs/wk) in our co-working space from 7/6 – 9/10
4. Attend all of our evening events (usually on Mon/Tues/Wed from 5 – 9 pm) – Weekly Office Hours, Fireside Chats, Skill Workshops, etc.
5. Participate in our Mentor Night event (date TBD; in July)
6. Participate in our Silicon Valley trip — approximately 2 core team members who have been working full-time in co-working space (date TBD; usually late August)
7. Participate in Demo Day on 9/10
8. Timely communication with the Startup UCLA staff
9. Incorporate feedback from the Startup UCLA staff when required (especially for pitches and pitch decks)
10. Mutually transparency — Startup UCLA staff will be open and honest with you and require the same in return
11. Commit to the highest ethical standards — uphold the True Bruin values
12. Stay involved with Startup UCLA and its alumni network after the Summer Accelerator
13. During the selection process we take into consideration the size of your core team. Due to space restrictions, we do not guarantee space for your interns.
1. The team is at least 50% currently enrolled UCLA students (undergraduate or graduate) or recent UCLA alumni (graduated within the last 5 years)
2. The startup is at the product stage. You have either developed the prototype, beta, or launched. Startups that have not yet reached at least the prototype stage will not be considered.
3. Be passionate about your startup and entrepreneurship
4. Willingness to go above and beyond to do great work
5. Superior communication and analytical skills
6. Self-starter/s with a strong desire to succeed and to grow personally and professionally
7. Thrive on receiving feedback and work well with others
8. Be collaborative and engaged with other teams in cohort
Perks & Benefits
1. $5,000 stipend per team/no equity taken. (Paid out in August contingent on your work and commitment to developing your startup. Stipend is income and taxed at the end of the year.)
2. Co-working space alongside the other accepted teams
3. Meet and hear from top entrepreneurs, investors, and industry experts.
4. $7,500 in Amazon Web Services credits
5. $20,000 in Google Cloud Platform credits
6. Complimentary legal guidance from a premiere law firm, Fenwick & West
7. Trip to Silicon Valley for 3 days/2 nights. Group will travel on charter bus and stay at hotel for 2 nights. Transportation and meal expenses covered by Startup UCLA for approximately 2 core team members, who have been working full-time in co-working space.
8. Meals provided 2-3x/week during evening events
All applicants must have met or meet with Deanna Evans, Glentrez Thornton, or Robert Jadon between September 1st, 2019 and April 5th, 2020. Schedule a meeting here. (We encourage applicants to schedule more than one meeting so that they can begin to implement feedback and execute on ideas developed during those meetings, but only one meeting is required.)
Please do not disclose to Startup UCLA any material that you believe is confidential or proprietary, or for which you expect to receive consideration or compensation in any form. By submitting material to Startup UCLA, you acknowledge that such material is neither confidential nor proprietary, and you waive the right to receive compensation of any kind for the material.
If you have any questions about the application or any of the above, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.