Startup UCLA’s Bruin Impact equips students with an entrepreneurial mindset, focused on innovation and creative problem solving, to cultivate ideas that drive positive social or environmental impact and develop leaders of change.
Connect to social impact communities and opportunities throughout UCLA with curated content, social media and cross-campus partnerships.
Learn to apply an impact lens to your idea or enterprise to build ventures that are good for people and the planet through LaunchPad venture consulting meetings, workshops and events.
Develop your idea to create positive change through the Bruin Impact Challenge, a campus-wide competition providing resources and a chance to win from a Prize Pool of $10,000.
Bruin Impact Challenge
The annual Bruin Impact Challenge invites students to cultivate ideas that improve the world. Solo or in teams, students participate in skills workshops, mentorship sessions and networking events, moving through three selection rounds culminating in a pitch showcase for a chance to win from a prize pool of $10,000.
What students are saying about BIC
The coaching and mentorship prior to the pitches were very helpful for us in evolving our ideas, telling our story, and prepping our presentation.
The critiques and feedback from the judges/mentors throughout the entire process, especially since critiques were provided from multiple people, all from different backgrounds & perspective.
Even though it was an idea competition, I was able to develop an entire plan I can use in the future.
I enjoyed learning how to convey [a] social impact venture and distinguish it from a regular business.
BIC ‘21 – ‘22 Winners
Mahruq Siddiqui & Mahnaz Siddiqu with Peppercorn
Andrew Ghadimi with Find your smile
Simone Jensen with Smartbooks
Here & Now
Bruin Impact Challenge Details
- Advocacy (values campaigns, policy engagement events, community convenings, etc.)
- Arts & Media (art installations, media productions, musical creations, dance pieces, etc.)
- Social Ventures (non-profit or for-profit social enterprises or organizations)
- Strategic Giving (fundraising initiatives, volunteer programs, skilled giving events, etc.)
- Round one: Proposals – Students submit project proposals outlining their impact idea. A team of judges will select teams from each track to continue into round two.
- Round two: Prelim Pitches – Students will pitch their ideas to a judging panel for feedback. Six to eight teams will be selected to move into round three.
- Round three: Final Pitches – Students will pitch their ideas to a live audience and judging panel. Winners will be selected to receive recognition and cash prizes.
- 1:1 mentorship with impact/industry professionals
- Events & skills workshops
- Networking with like-minded students
- Direct exposure and feedback from expert judges
- Open to all currently enrolled UCLA undergraduate or graduate students.
- Non-students are allowed to join as team members with at least one qualifying UCLA student.
- Submissions must be an undeveloped or early-stage idea, project or initiative that will produce a positive impact on people or the planet.
- Prior to applying, students must meet with a Startup UCLA Venture Consultant. Book here.
- A cash prize pool totaling up to $10,000 will be awarded at the pitch showcase to help winning teams propel their solutions further. Certain restrictions may apply.
The next Bruin Impact Challenge applications will open in October 2022.